This pumpkin pie is simple to make, and delicious. It’s one of those recipes where your guests will not realize is entirely plant-based. And they definitely will not know that it’s low fat and relatively (apart from the sugar) healthy, particularly compared to the traditional non-vegan version of the dish.
I was impressed how creamy and smooth this pie is as well. I love it chilled out of the refrigerator especially, topped with some aquafaba whip cream of course. But again, the best part is how easy it is to make – blend the ingredients, pour into a simple crust.
Low fat pumpkin pie filling
- 15 oz pure pumpkin canned pure pumpkin, not filling
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk cashew works well, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest optional
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice find recipe here, or use store bought mix
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- Make or purchase your favorite oil-free plant-based crust. Here is a simple crust I like to make (it can be pressed into a class dish, and does not require any oil or grease prior to baking).
- Preheat the oven to 400F while preparing the pumpkin filling.
- Add the filling ingredients listed here into a food processor or blender, and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over the crust, and pop it in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350F and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the top of the pie is slightly browned.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour or more.
- Top with aquafaba whip cream (https://plants.to/WhipCream), and serve.
Making an oil free crust
Sometimes it can be hard to find a pie crust that is oil free and vegan. But it’s quite easy to make a tasty crust yourself. Here is a simple and inexpensive crust to make that is simply three ingredients.
Dairy free low fat whipping cream
Is it possible to have a dairy free and low fat whip cream? Of course, with the help of aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas). It’s incredibly easy to make.
Here is the recipe for the aquafaba whip on top of the bar or pie.
Adjusting the firmness
Chilling the pie will cause it to firm up a bit. But you can also adjust this with the amount of cashews you blend in. Add a few more for a firmer texture, or reduce the amount for a creamier texture.
- Pad Thai Protein Salad recipe from The Plant-Based Cookbook + Book Review and Giveaway! - December 9, 2020
- Lemon ginger bowl sauce with miso recipe (Oil free, no added sodium) - November 30, 2020
- New vegan bacon at Whole Foods Market – 300 store roll-out - November 15, 2020