Oatmeal is an incredibly simple and versatile addition to your morning routine. You will find so many variations of oatmeal on this site because it's what I eat most mornings! And I don't get bored, as long as I switch up the flavors. So I add my favorite flavors here on the site to give you some ideas of how to mix it up, and keep things fresh.
I often use freeze-dried fruit in my oatmeal, rehydrating it as the oatmeal cooks. Freeze dried fruit (and other forms of freeze-dried produce) are healthful, almost as much as the fresh version. Produce is flash-frozen not long after it is harvested, thus capturing the produce at its most nutrient-dense state. And the freeze-dry produce also retains more nutrients than dehydrated variants.
And I often use it because I do not have the fresh fruit on hand. I can keep pouches of freeze dried in the cupboard for these occassions.
Blueberry Vanilla Oatmeal
- 1 cup plant-based milk Such as cashew or almond, or substitute water
- 1/2 cup oatmeal quick oats, steel cut oats, or rolled
- 1/8 cup freeze-dried blueberries or 1/4 cup fresh
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- Cook the oatmeal according to package directions. This will vary depending on the type of oatmeal you are using.
- Add the freeze-dried blueberries half way through cooking, so they can rehydrate. If you are using fresh blueberries, add them at the end of the cooking process.
- After finished cooking, stir in the vanilla.
- Garnish with your favorite crunchy topping, such as granola.
Add some toppings to the oatmeal for texture or more flavor. Here I have added granola on top, and then I mix it in for a bit of sweetness. If your granola is not sweetened or you do not add a topping, mix in some stevia, fruit based sweetener, or another favorite sweetener if desired.
Latest posts by Jen deHaan (see all)
- Vegan Mushroom Oyster Sauce recipe (Oil Free, Low Fat) - December 11, 2019
- Planet Vegan (2019 Documentary) - November 28, 2019
- Creamy Buffalo Chik’n Hot Sauce recipe (Oil Free, Vegan) – Dip, spread, dressing, and more - November 28, 2019