This dairy-free creamy sauce seems like it should have something like cheese or cream in it, but it doesn't. The base of this sauce is cauliflower, which means that it has all the benefits of vegetables instead. But because I add a whack-ton of garlic (and honestly, that's probably what I need to start measuring in on this site), there's no shortage of taste in this one. I also omit the oil and ensure this one is low fat.
You can use this sauce for all sorts of meals, several of which are upcoming on this site of course! You can use it as a pasta sauce, you can top potatoes with it, or you can mix it into a vegetable side dish. Or perhaps combine all of the above into one big bowl (I have yet to try this, but now I might).
Cauliflower Garlic Cream Sauce
- 4 cups cauliflower steamed
- 1/2 cup garlic minced
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 cup plant-based milk Eg. Almond milk or cashew milk
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup Optional
- 1 Tbsp miso paste or sub 1 tsp of vegetable broth paste
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour Or preferred gluten-free flour or starch.
- Steam the cauliflower on the stove or in the Instant Pot. For Instant Pot directions, see this recipe.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, saute the garlic and white onion in water or vegetable broth in a pan on the stovetop.
- Add the cauliflower, garlic, white onion, milk, nutritional yeast, syrup, miso, and salt and pepper into a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth.
- Move the sauce into a pot or pan on the stovetop on medium-high heat and slowly whisk in the flour to thicken the sauce. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes while whisking to heat up fully, and then use in your favorite meal.
I usually add lemon to my recipes, but don't do it in this one. I tried, it didn't taste right. 2/10, don't recommend. But the above turned out good, so hope you like it!
If you want to save this recipe for later on Pinterest, or share it out on social media, you can use the following: