Vegan sour cream is incredibly easy to make while retaining the creamy texture with a notable dairy tang without using any animal products at all. This dairy-free recipe uses uses a combination of both sunflower seeds and cashews to form the base, while adding tang using lemon, and yellow mustard. Nutritional yeast is optional, and simply adds a depth of flavor. This recipe is a nice addition to our recipes for cheap vegan chili, cowboy beans, refried beans, and just about any burrito.
If you are looking for a cheaper version of this recipe, simply swap out the cashews for more sunflower seeds. These seeds are lower fat, cheaper to buy, and you can find local (or closer to home) sources for them. While the cashews tend to improve the texture, the difference is not huge. Try both if you can, and see what you think. You do not need to soak the seeds if you are using a high powered blender, like a Vitamix, however it's often a good idea to soak regardless for texture and health.
For the SOS-free (Salt, Sodium, Sugar free) preparation, see recipe notes.
Vegan Sour Cream
- Add all ingredients except for the 1/4 cup of optional water/plant-based milk to blender.
- Blend for a couple minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
- If you want a runnier sour cream, add the optional water or plant-based milk to the blender and continue blending until you reach desired consistency.
Alternatives, changes, and swaps
For SOS-free: Omit the optional salt, and swap the prepared yellow mustard with yellow mustard powder, homemade yellow mustard (recipes are often sodium free), or use a brand that does not include sodium (may be found at health food stores).
For reducing cost: Swap the cashews for the same amount of sunflower seeds. This will affect the texture and flavor a bit, but not too much.
For making a runnier texture: Add plant-based milk or water in small amounts while blending to desired consistency.
Latest posts by Jen deHaan (see all)
- 73 Cows (2018 Documentary) - November 15, 2019
- The Game Changers (2018 documentary) - November 15, 2019
- Cheap Vegan Chili (Low fat, oil free) – but still rich, filling, and expensive tasting - November 13, 2019