It's great to have a few plant-based comfort food recipes on hand. Not only are they great for those days where you really just need something quick and easy, but perhaps even to get over certain cravings. This garlic bread pasta fills the need for an easy, quick, comfort food that doesn't use any animal products or dairy. It has a lot of flavor, and will fill you up if you use the right kinds of pasta (whole wheat, or bean-based pasta). Plus garlic. Love garlic.
For me, I've had this cold that has been going around everyone at the gym... multiple times. My defenses when it comes to food get a little weak. I need food that's easy, comforting but I still want it to be vegan and not too bad for my health. This is where the garlic bread pasta comes in.
So the key elements here to keep this dish a bit on the healthier side of things (aside from avoiding animal products) is:
- Good pasta. Opt for whole wheat or wheat alternatives, like chickpea pasta or other bean-based pastas.
- Read the ingredients on your pasta: make sure it doesn't contain any fillers or processed ingredients.
- Make your own (oil free) breadcrumbs and parmesan if you can. If not, read the ingredient label and choose one with as many whole ingredients as you can.
- Serve with a generous side dish of vegetables! This pasta goes so well with broccoli, and you could even prepare it in a similar way!
- Don't skimp on the garlic. That's what really pulls this dish together.
Vegan garlic bread pasta
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. I used a fresh pasta, which takes about four minutes in a rolling boil. Any type of pasta (macaroni, rotini, chickpea pasta, etc) works nicely for this recipe.
- Drain and rinse the pasta, and place in a bowl.
- Whisk the chickpea flour and water together, and then mix in the minced garlic, pepper, and white pepper.
- Add the pasta to the bowl, and mix ingredients together.
- Shake breadcrumbs over the pasta, and gently combine. Add a bit more breadcrumb if desired.
- Place in bowl, and top with the parsley and season with salt.
I garnished my dish with a bit of parsley and a sprinkle of vegan parmesan. I'm also starting to make my own, so subscribe to the site to be notified of those recipes once they're up!
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest:
Get delicious plant based recipes directly to your inbox each week, for free! Our newsletter will feature exclusive, bonus content. Your privacy is taken seriously - we never spam. Click to SIGN UP HERE!
Latest posts by Jen deHaan (see all)
- Vegan Ginger Orange Farro, Bean & Vegetable Meal Salad recipe (using Chop Above cutting board!) - September 3, 2019
- Flavor Blast Vegan Tzatziki Spread recipe (Dairy Free, Oil free, Low Fat) - July 8, 2019
- Vegan ramen with mushrooms and tofu recipe – with a spicy option (Oil free, Vegan) - June 4, 2019