It's easy to get into a rut for breakfast: oatmeal and more oatmeal. Cereal. More oatmeal. While this muesli still utilizes the handy rolled oats, they are quite a bit different in this tasty variation. Adding chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, and a healthy amount of plant-based milk, this hearty meal will help you wake up and start your day without being too heavy. My favorite addition is some freeze dried fruit (especially raspberries) to add a punch of flavor and texture on top.
After the recipe I have included a few substitutions or additions you can make to this recipe for variety.
Note that the nutritional information adds the sugar content assuming you use maple syrup in this recipe. For a non-sugar option you can substitute with stevia or erythritol.
Ginger seed muesli
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 4 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon ceylon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 cups plant-based milk such as flax, almond, or cashew milk
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup to taste
- Slivered almonds
- Cocoa nibs
- Additional plant-based milk or sweetener to taste.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- Leave in the refrigerator overnight, giving it another couple stirs if necessary.
Substitutions and options
Use a granulated stevia blend for a no-sugar option, instead of maple syrup.
There are many options for toppings. You can add more of the nuts or seeds to the top for texture and crunch. I like to add a bit of granola or freeze-dried fruit on top to add that flavor punch and crunch without adding more fat (this recipe is right at the upper limit of "low fat", at 10% of the total calories).
A drizzle of tahini could work well for a bunch of nutty flavor. Blended with the sweet muesli, the tahini should lose a lot of its bitterness.
You could even add a bit of chopped crystalized ginger as a treat, or sprinkle on some cocoa powder and mix it in for a bit of a chocolatey flavor.
Get creative so breakfast is never boring!
Latest posts by Jen deHaan (see all)
- Deluxe Sunomono Salad recipe (Vegan, oil free, low fat) - February 13, 2019
- Vegan sweet and sour stir fry recipe (Oil free, low fat) - February 12, 2019
- How to cook perfect potatoes in the Instant Pot - February 6, 2019