This vegan Mac n Cheeze is incredibly easy to make with any blender, especially a high powered one like the Vitamix. And so many fewer chemicals and less guilt than the original. I also tried the vegan cheese sauce with chickpea noodles made by Banza, and didn't miss "regular" noodles.
I love the limited ingredient list too: short and sweet.
Vegan mac and cheese
- 1 box chickpea pasta such as Banza, pictured here
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked
- 1/4 cup white beans cooked or canned
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk such as cashew or almond milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/6 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp hot sauce optional, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cook the chickpea pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain/rinse when finished cooking, and return to the pot.
- Blend the soaked cashews, beans, and plant-based milk in a high-speed blender, such as a Vitamix.
- Add the rest of the seasonings, and continue blending until smooth.
- Combine the sauce and noodles in the pot, and reheat until warm.
- Serve and enjoy!
I am Canadian, so I always enjoy my favorite comfort food, macaroni and cheese, with ketchup. Because that's the correct way to eat it. (lol) And once you add this or some hot sauce (or both!) to the dish, you can barely tell the difference. Even better, make your own healthy ketchup at home! Here is a recipe, or try tomato jam instead.
So that's it! Let us know how you enjoyed the mac and cheese, or if you discovered anything that made it work better for you!
Where to find chickpea noodles
Find chickpea noodles at your favorite natural / health food grocery store (we found Banza ones at Whole Foods, and have also seen them in Costco even up here on Vancouver Island), or you can also find it online.