Lentil dishes are some of my favorite in the cold months, and there is nothing more warming than sweet potatoes and yams. It’s like being wrapped in a warm blanket. Recently I made a meal in the slow cooker made with green lentils, and wanted to make a similarly spiced dish with the softer red lentils. While the spices are similar, this one tastes quite a bit different due to the texture and sweet potatoes.
Red lentils blend perfectly with sweet potatoes in both texture and flavor. All of the ingredients in this recipe are inexpensive yet packed with nutrition, and this recipe makes a huge pot for a large family or bunch of leftovers.
Making this dish is incredibly simple: throw everything in the crockpot and wait. All you have to do is prep a few simple ingredients, and get out the spices. After the hours simmering in the slow cooker, you will have a fragrant house and flavorful dish.
The finishing touch of plant-based milk makes this dish creamy, and the perfect end to a chilly day. Serve with rice, vegetables, or naan bread.
Spiced red lentils with sweet potato and yam
- 6 cups sweet potatoes or yams, cubed
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 white onion cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger minced
- 3 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1.5 cups red lentils uncooked and rinsed thoroughly
- 15 oz plant-based milk thickened, see notes
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix the vegetable broth with all of your spices, and then place the mixture in your slow cooker.
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes/yams and onion and cook on high for 3-3.5 hours. The vegetables should be soft for the next step.
- Mix in the (rinsed) red lentils and then cook (still at high) for another 1.5 hours - 2 hours.
- Before serving, add the thickened plant-based milk* (see notes) and mix thoroughly. Then slowly mix in some water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Serve hot, seasoned with sea salt to taste.
- Pad Thai Protein Salad recipe from The Plant-Based Cookbook + Book Review and Giveaway! - December 9, 2020
- Lemon ginger bowl sauce with miso recipe (Oil free, no added sodium) - November 30, 2020
- New vegan bacon at Whole Foods Market – 300 store roll-out - November 15, 2020