I love figuring out new dips to add variety to the week. I use them on and in all sorts of things, from wraps to potatoes. Especially potatoes! This Avocado Basil dip is bright, fresh, and perfect for summer. It pairs with all sorts of different plant based dishes, so you should be able to get through the jar pretty quickly. Ours didn't last long in the fridge!
What to eat this dip with
Of course any vegetable could be dipped into this and it will go quite nicely, and you can add the spread inside of a sandwich, pita or wrap, or even along with any Buddah bowl.
As mentioned above, I prefer to eat this with is potatoes. It complements the starch very nicely with the bright and clean flavor of the basil. I also add some hot sauce on top for a kick. Season as desired - I love a good hit of pepper on top, as you can see here:
Avocado Basil Dip / Spread
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until basil is small green flecks within mixture.
Substitutions and alternative ingredients
There are many ways to adjust the taste, calories, consistency (ie: dip to dressing), or spice level of this recipe. Here's how:
- If you want to substitute some or all of the tahini or avocado, you can swap either ingredient with tofu or white beans. If you are swapping the tahini with tofu, you may want to go with a firmer tofu.
- You could use any natural nut butter or seed butter in place of the tahini.
- You could swap any herb in place of the basil. Cilantro or parsley would probably work best.
- To thin out the dip or add more citrus tang, add extra lime. If you want to turn this into a salad dressing, also add a bit of extra water.
- Drizzle with hot sauce for some kick.
Latest posts by Jen deHaan (see all)
- Deluxe Sunomono Salad recipe (Vegan, oil free, low fat) - February 13, 2019
- Vegan sweet and sour stir fry recipe (Oil free, low fat) - February 12, 2019
- How to cook perfect potatoes in the Instant Pot - February 6, 2019