This cardamom date paste can be used in many different ways. It is often useful for desserts, such as making a cinnamon bun. Or you might use it on top of some oatmeal instead of maple syrup or some other kind of sweetener. Because its spiced, its also delicious on toast! Using dates is often a healthier, less processed and therefore preferable ingredient than something like standard sugar.
It's also very easy to make, whether you make this recipe on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot pressure cooker. You essentially heat up the pitted dates, and then blend them once they are nice and soft. It can be flavored in many different ways, but the way described in this recipe is how we like to flavor the dates. Our most common way of using this date paste is with our breakfast dishes such as oatmeal or quinoa and ground flax seed.
Cardamom vanilla date paste
- Add pitted dates and water to a pot on the stovetop, and crush while they are simmering. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add pitted dates and water to the Instant Pot, and cook at high for 10 minutes. Use natural release.
Remaining process for either cooking method
- Remove the dates with a slotted spoon, and place in food processor or blender. Reserve the liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients (cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt) and blend until well combined. Add about 2 Tbsp of the liquid (from the cooking process) so dates blend smoothly.
- Store in airtight container in fridge. Store the liquid too - you can use it as a sweet addition to many different recipes.
Don't forget to save that liquid from the cooking process! You can use it to sweeten all sorts of things too.
How do you use this recipe?
Let me know in the comments how you like to use this date paste. Or, are you looking for some kind of dessert in particular? Let me know below!
Latest posts by Jen deHaan (see all)
- Vegan Ginger Orange Farro, Bean & Vegetable Meal Salad recipe (using Chop Above cutting board!) - September 3, 2019
- Flavor Blast Vegan Tzatziki Spread recipe (Dairy Free, Oil free, Low Fat) - July 8, 2019
- Vegan ramen with mushrooms and tofu recipe – with a spicy option (Oil free, Vegan) - June 4, 2019