Our household is going "low fat whole food plant based". There are several reasons for this adjustment, which are explained in this post. However, one of the first things I want to do is learn how to make some no oil, low fat desserts. OK wait... my sweet tooth wants to do this. So the first stop is this incredibly simple and quick sweet flatbread. I used to use a bit of vegan butter on toasted flatbread, except now that I do not use oil the vegan butter is out. I thought: what about ginger?
This recipe only has a few ingredients, and might be stuff you already have in your cupboards! I recently found this granulated stevia blend (mixed with erythritol), which means it doesn't even use sugar. Erythritol and stevia are not too bad for you as far as sweeteners go. See this video from Dr. Michael Greger on erythritol at NutritionFacts.org. Of course, all of these options should be used at reasonable amounts, as they could carry risks if consumed in large quantities.
So on to the recipe. Note that the best amounts of each ingredient will depend on the size of your flatbread. Make sure you check the ingredients of your flatbread if you buy a package at the store, to make sure it adheres properly to your individual diet.
Cinnamon Ginger Stevia dessert flatbread
- 1 flatbread medium to large size
- 2 Tbsp ginger minced
- 2 Tbsp stevia granulated blend "Baking" blend. See notes.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon spice ceylon
- Spread the minced ginger on your flatbread.
- Sprinkle the granulated stevia blend over the flatbread, to taste.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the flatbread, to taste.
- Toast on a medium to high setting in your toaster oven (about 4 minutes at a high temperature such as 400 degrees, if you are using your oven).
The result is crispy, and delicious. Not too sweet, and just a hint of ginger to add some depth of flavor. Play around with the ratios until you find your favorite result!
And for an even healthier option, make your own flatbread!
Latest posts by Jen deHaan (see all)
- Kale pesto and farro salad with tomatoes, spinach and peas recipe (Oil Free, Vegan) - February 14, 2020
- Oil free Vegan Kale Pesto recipe (SOS-Free option, sunflower seed base) - January 30, 2020
- Citrus herb chickpea salad sandwich recipe (Oil free, vegan) - January 23, 2020
Last Updated on