The dinner roll, also called a bun or bread roll (or a whole bunch of possible names in the UK), is often an essential at holiday meals or family gatherings. A small somewhat crusty roll that you can eat with a spread, or to mop up meal remnants on your plate.
Whatever you call it, these small buns are great with dinner but also very useful for making sliders, or small lunch sandwiches. They are a perfect size for eating with a hearty soup or salad. My mom wanted to make a dinner roll that incorporated healthy whole wheat, but wasn’t too dense. Achieving this can be tricky without using oil or eggs for structure. She came up with an amazing blend of whole wheat along with regular to facilitate not using oil or eggs in the ingredients.
See what you think! Here is the recipe.
Mom's Vegan Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- sesame seeds or flour
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, yeast, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add non-dairy milk, water, and lemon juice together in a separate bowl, and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and knead together until a smooth dough forms.
- Cover the dough and let it rest in warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface, and divide into 12 even pieces. Shape them into buns, place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the top with a bit of additional non-dairy milk, then sprinkle with seeds or dust with additional flour.
- Cover buns with a towel, let rest 30 minutes, then bake for 30 minutes until golden.
What about butter for this bun?
Good question! Because we avoid oil, we often make an oil-free spread from cashews or sunflower seeds. There are many recipe options here, and I continue to add more to this list of oil free spreads, dressings, sauces, and dips regularly. I’m working on a “corn butter” recipe that is quite good on dinner rolls and toast.
If you do not avoid oil (perhaps on the holidays?), Earth Balance offers a vegan option that is incredibly similar to one made with animal products.
You can donate to keep this site up and running, and oil free vegan recipes coming your way! Choose from a few easy ways to help:
- Does cross contamination on a grill make something “not vegan”? - October 14, 2020
- Healthy oil free vegan dinner roll recipe (aka bun or bread roll recipe) - October 11, 2020
- Swedish store Felix pricing food products based on climate impact - October 6, 2020