This hearty meal is perfect for a cold night, or when you need something that's a bit of a comfort food. Its reminiscent of a very meaty bolognese both in texture and in taste. Because there is a ton of spice you won't be let down on the flavor, or feel like you're missing out.
It's also really quick to assemble. You don't need to precook anything - just throw the ingredients in a pot, and stir until it's heated and to the right texture. We usually find that we have all the ingredients in the pantry at all times, so this is one of those meals that's in the regular rotation. Especially when we don't want to put together something complex.
Meaty mushroom and walnut bolognese
Pulse in food processor:
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes 2 to 3 cups. Marinara sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, or diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water Optional, or more, to thin sauce if needed.
- 3 Tbsp garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp basil Dried. Or 1/4 cup fresh, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Montreal Steak Spice To taste. Low or no sodium, or sub preferred herb blend.
- 2 tsp onion powder Powder or granulated
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes To taste.
- Cook preferred noodles using package directions.
- Add walnuts, flax, garlic, mushrooms and onions to a food processor and mince thoroughly.
- Add marinara and remaning ingredients to a pot on the stovetop and bring to simmer. Add walnut blend from food processor to the pot when ready.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes (or while noodles are cooking), until walnuts are at desired texture.
- Serve sauce with noodles, seasoning as necessary (black pepper and hot sauce are common additions in our household.)
Play around with the spices until you find something that you like. Try adding a bit of white pepper (just a bit, about a 1/2 tsp), or spice it up with hot sauce. I always top this with some hot sauce like sriracha and a bunch of pepper. Tell us what you like to do in the comments!
- Kale pesto and farro salad with tomatoes, spinach and peas recipe (Oil Free, Vegan) - February 14, 2020
- Oil free Vegan Kale Pesto recipe (SOS-Free option, sunflower seed base) - January 30, 2020
- Citrus herb chickpea salad sandwich recipe (Oil free, vegan) - January 23, 2020
Last Updated on