Rice pudding can actually be healthy, and certainly then qualifies as a potential breakfast food (well, at least sometimes right?). This recipe keeps it low fat by using a regular plant-based milk of your choice. You can choose how you want to sweeten this dish by either using dates entirely, or you can use maple syrup instead.
Orange zest is key in this one - it adds wonderful bright notes to the warm cardamom and cinnamon. The flavors together are really something else. The date paste is very cardamom-forward by design, so if you are using the recipe from this site then you might want to pull back a bit on the caradmom in the rice pudding itself (depending on how much you enjoy). Personally, I added the full amount to both recipes, but certainly test it out beforehand if you're unsure.
This recipe is easy, and inexpensive - two key elements for me.
Cardamom Orange Rice Pudding
- 2 cups rice cooked
- 1 cup plant-based milk Such as cashew or almond
- 1/2 cup raisins Sub dried cherries or blueberries
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom See notes.
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup Optional. See notes for subs.
- salt Optional, to taste.
- Chopped walnuts Optional.
- 1 Tbsp Cardamom Date Paste See notes for sub.
- Put the rice in a pot with the milk and heat on low, allowing the contents to thicken up.
- While heating, use an immersion blender to blend a portion of the pudding (alternatively, you can remove about half, pulse it in your blender, and return to the pot).
- Add remaining ingredients, except date paste and walnuts, stir to combine well until reaches desired temperature. Thin with more plant-based milk if desired, and serve topped with walnuts and date paste.
The common adjustments for this are in the note above. Did you try something else? Do you like using quinoa or a different grain instead? What kind of toppings did you opt for? Let us know in the comments!
Latest posts by Jen deHaan (see all)
- Deluxe Sunomono Salad recipe (Vegan, oil free, low fat) - February 13, 2019
- Vegan sweet and sour stir fry recipe (Oil free, low fat) - February 12, 2019
- How to cook perfect potatoes in the Instant Pot - February 6, 2019