We eat a lot of potatoes in this household, following the McDougall way of eating. Potatoes are healthy, inexpensive and are a very versatile component in recipes. I also love to eat a potato for lunch with various toppings (which can also be added to vegetables on the side). This is a quick and delicious lunch any day of the week. So what is an easy way to cook your potatoes? You can obviously steam or boil on the stovetop, cook them in the microwave, or bake in a toaster oven or regular oven. But the Instant Pot is possibly the quickest and easiest way to make a batch of potatoes that you can enjoy for several days (or more).
We use a steamer basket inside the Instant Pot (there's a link below) to cook our potatoes, but you can also place them on top of the trivet that comes with your appliance.
Here's how to make the perfect potato in the Instant Pot, including a quick step-through video.
Steamed potatoes in the Instant Pot
- 6 potatoes Medium to Large
- 2 cups water
- Scrub your potatoes.
- Add the steamer basket or trivet to the bottom of the Instant Pot, and put your washed potatoes on top.
- Add about 2 cups of water (if you are using a trivet, this might just about touch the bottom of your trivet). You need enough to steam the potatoes.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual, and cook for between 12 and 15 minutes. Then use natural pressure release. When the valve pops up, your potatoes are ready.
Obviously the cooking time can be adjusted depending on the size of your potatoes, and your desired level of firmness. As illustrated in the notes above, I like my potatoes fluffy and well cooked, as you can tell by these photos. If you like your potatoes a little less cooked, then reduce the cooking time to 10-12 minutes and see if that works for you.
I always put toppings on my potatoes. Sometimes it's simply lemon and pepper, but often I'll put on a sauce, dressing, spread, or even bolognese or something more hearty. See this page for a bunch of ideas for oil free vegan potato toppings recipes that we have added to this website!
Share this recipe with your friends, or save it for later on Pinterest.
Feel free to leave a comment below with how you use the Instant Pot to make potatoes.
Latest posts by Jen deHaan (see all)
- Deluxe Sunomono Salad recipe (Vegan, oil free, low fat) - February 13, 2019
- Vegan sweet and sour stir fry recipe (Oil free, low fat) - February 12, 2019
- How to cook perfect potatoes in the Instant Pot - February 6, 2019