This is a copycat recipe for Trader Joe's seasoning blend, and other umami spice blends available at many grocery stores. I couldn't find a similar blend locally (we don't have Trader Joe's), so I found a picture of the label and am running with the ingredients listed there (while making a few adjustments). The ratios of each spice are of course unknown, so I played around with my own and ended up landing on a blend that seems to work really well in my recipes. The Trader Joe's bottle has salt as the first listed ingredient, so I also wanted to try one with minimal or no salt. This blend is still really flavorful without all that salt.
So what are you going to use this for? Well, it's great for ramen soup, which recipe is coming up later this week. I finally cracked the ramen soup code and made a "proper one" and WOW. It's going into the regular rotation. So this blend is a good one to have on hand if you want to make ramen soup. It is also great for adding to popcorn, stews, and broths in general.
This recipe makes about 60g of dry spice.
Umami Spice Blend
- 3 Tbsp porcini mushroom powder See notes.
- 2 Tbsp mushroom blend powder Or white button mushroom powder. See notes.
- 3 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp jalapeño pepper powder Sub crushed crushed red pepper, chipotle powder, etc
- 2 tsp thyme Dried spice.
- 1 tsp black pepper Or sub white pepper for a different flavor profile!
- 1/2 tsp sea salt Optional.
- If applicable, grind dried mushrooms in a coffee grinder until it's a find powder.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- Store in an airtight container, such as an old spice bottle.
Changes, swaps, and alternatives
You can find mushroom powder or dried mushrooms easily online, and many grocery stores carry specific types of dried mushrooms. They are really easy to find: I found my bottles down the road out in a semi-rural area on an island. The Trader Joe's bottle indicates white button mushroom powder, which I could not find locally so I used a general "forest mushroom" blend that turned out really well. I do recommend trying to find porcini mushrooms if you can. 1/2 cup of dry mushrooms makes about 1/4 cup of powder.
I found my jalapeno pepper spice locally at a standard grocery store. If you can't find something like this, use a different chili based spice - the Trader Joe's blend uses red chili flakes, which are standard in any grocery store. Grind them up if desired.
Omit the salt if you are SOS-free.
Share this recipe online with your friends!
- Kale pesto and farro salad with tomatoes, spinach and peas recipe (Oil Free, Vegan) - February 14, 2020
- Oil free Vegan Kale Pesto recipe (SOS-Free option, sunflower seed base) - January 30, 2020
- Citrus herb chickpea salad sandwich recipe (Oil free, vegan) - January 23, 2020
Last Updated on